This is the place for all the Learning Assistants (Student Learning Support Officers, Aboriginal Education Officers and Teachers' Aides) to have your questions answered or share some ideas on a topic. Send a question or comment by clicking on 'Contact Us' above and watch this space for a response.
Questions From the Field
How do I get a child to talk?
- Spend some time getting to know each other.
- Share activites from the child's home like photos, familiar books, favourite toys.
- Make statements rather than ask questions (e.g., I can see lots of animals. There's a blue one).
- Include a child's friend or family in activities.
- Say the words for the child until they understand what's expected.
- Have some activities or items of high interest to encourage simple requests (e.g., bubbles, interesting toys in a tightly closed jar).
How do I get children to use longer sentences?
Have you got some tips on using correct pronouns?
How long should I work with a child?